Material for destructive testing

Shipments of plant samples, seed samples or other risk material for research purposes, which will be destroyed after testing, from outside the European Union (3rd countries) need to be accompanied by a phytosanitary certificate or a letter addressed to the Dutch NPPO (DOIV). 

If a phytosanitary certificate is not available, samples can be imported with a dispensation for receiving samples from third countries, for the purpose of destructive testing. The sample must be accompanied by a letter from the Dutch NPPO (DOIV). You can request this letter from the laboratory by completing the form on this page.


  • This option is limited to imports of (plant) material that is not listed as prohibited. An import ban applies to certain varieties of plants, as well as to soil and growing media.  This list states which crops are prohibited.  
  • Material that is already known or detected to be infected with a quarantine organism or an organism worthy of classification as a QO(QO or QwO) may not be imported.
  • The quantity of material submitted must not be larger than necessary for the destructive test.

If the material is already infected with a QO or QwO, you can apply to the NVWA for dispensation from the import prohibition. This is called an Import Licence.

Request DOIV form

You can request the letter by filling in the form below. It is important to fill in the address of the company who will send the samples.

Please note: this is not allowed for Seed Quality analysis. For Seed Quality analysis you need a phytosanitary certificate.

After submitting the request, you will receive the necessary documentation within a few days. You will also receive your shipping label.

Company name (sender) *
Address (sender) *
Zip code (sender) *
City (sender) *
Country (sender) *
Gender *
First name *
Last name *
E-mail *
Scientific name of the crop *
Quantity of material (quantities and type of material) *
What pathogen would you like the sample to be tested for? *
Which method do we need to use for testing this sample? (E.g. PCR, IF, ELISA) *
What is the scheduled date of dispatch? *
By completing this application, you state that: *
* Marked fields are necessary.

Shipment instructions for plant material with a DOIV

    • Your samples must be packed in unbreakable, hermetically sealed leak-proof packaging with maximum of 80kg and a maximum height of 20 cm.
    • Put the attached shipping label on the outside of the package.
    • Put the numbered letter of the Dutch NPPO on the outside of the package, including a warning “Plant Quarantine, do not open”.
    • PLEASE NOTE: do not forget to fill in the packing list information at the back of the form.
    • Put the Laboratory order form together with the sample(s) inside the package.
    • Send the package direct to the address on the attached shipping label. This shipping can only be used for the Naktuinbouw location on Sotaweg 22.
    • Please send not more than the quantity mentioned in your request.
    • Please check whether the courier delivers directly to the Netherlands. If not, please choose another courier. We advise not to use FedEx because there are not sending it directly to the Netherlands.
    • Please add a no commercial value (NCV) with the samples.

Frequently asked questions (FAQ)

Where should I send my samples?

Samples can be sent by PostNL to:

Testing Laboratory
Attn. Laboratories Administration
P.O. Box 40
2370 AA Roelofarendsveen, NL

Attn: Diagnostics
Sotaweg 22
2371 AA Roelofarendsveen, NL

Variety Tracer
Attn: Variety Tracer
P.O. Box 40
2370 AA Roelofarendsveen

When sending the samples with a courier service, or in case of large quantities of samples (e.g. on a pallet), please use the visiting address:

Testing Laboratory
Attn: Laboratory Administration
Sotaweg 22
2371 GD Roelofarendsveen

Attn: Diagnostics
Sotaweg 22
2371 GD Roelofarendsveen

Variety Tracer
Attn: Variety Tracer
Sotaweg 22
2371 GD Roelofarendsveen

Samples can be received between 8:00-17:30, from Mondays to Fridays.

Samples may be sent to:

Tienrayseweg 9a
5961 NK Horst

Which documents should I to send with my samples?

A submission form downloaded from the website. We have three different submission forms:

  1. For plant material with symptoms
  2. For plant material without symptoms
  3. For Seed samples

Samples submitted from outside the EU must be accompanied by a phytosanitary certificate or DOIV.

Where can I find a submission form?

You can find this form on the website. There are three different types:

Is a phytosanitary certificate required?

A phytosanitary certificate is sometimes required for samples submitted from outside the EU. If it is not possible to request a phytosanitary certificate, you can request a special, accompanying letter (DOIV) on the website.

When can I send my samples?

We advise you to send plant samples (perishable material) without symptoms on Mondays or Tuesdays. Plant samples with symptoms can be sent from Mondays to Thursdays. This will avoid samples being left in the post over the weekends and not being stored in the correct conditions. Samples sent on these days will also arrive in time for testing.

Seed samples can be sent every day of the week.

I am submitting samples to Naktuinbouw for the first time. Which documents should I include?

A registration form must be filled in first so we can enter the necessary company details in our system. 

Can more than one crop be listed on a DOIV?

If the different crops are in the same package, one DOIV is sufficient. A separate DOIV must be requested for each shipment.

When do I have to request a DOIV?

A DOIV must be requested if it is not possible to request a phytosanitary certificate. The application must comply with the following criteria:

  • The crop/family is not stated on the EU list of banned plants, unless indicated that the material is intended for planting up.
  • The material is used for destructive testing.
  • The material is sent directly to the Netherlands from the country of origin, without transhipment in another country.
What is a DOIV?

A DOIV is a document issued by the Netherlands Food and Consumer Product Safety Authority (NVWA). This document permits plant material without a phytosanitary certificate to be imported for the purpose of destructive testing on samples. The Dutch customs authorities required this document to release the shipment.

How do I apply for a DOIV?

You ask the laboratory for this letter by completing this form. When importing plant or seed samples for destructive testing from outside the EU (third countries), a phytosanitary certificate or an accompanying letter from the NVWA is required.